THE TANNER FAMILY

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Myriad of Mistakes & Reasons to Laugh

Mistake #1:

Telling Dave that because I didn't have any commitments today (lessons, appointments, errands, babysitting, etc.) I was going to have a relaxing day.

Mistake # 2:

Thinking that my little girls were playing well together, and that I could check my e-mail and "blog surf" for a few minutes.

Mistake #3:

When it got really quiet, not running downstairs IMMEDIATELY, to see why.


Mistake #4:

Buying cat food in bulk.
This is what I found in the garage when I went down. My sweet girls had dumped out the entire Sam's Club size bag of cat food. It took me a long time to clean it all up and salvage as much of it as possible.

Mistake #5:

Thinking that while I was cleaning up the cat food mess, my girls would sit quietly and watch cartoons.

I found this when I came in from cleaning the garage. Brooke was in her underwear, Autumn was in her onesie, and the cushions were all off the couch. This is nothing new. Given the prior mess, though, I was furious. Then I remembered one of the talks at our last General Conference. It was about finding humor in situations. Finding reasons to laugh instead of getting angry. The talk gave examples of things that would cause anger or frustration, and instead of allowing those feelings to make us upset, laughing about it. That is what I am trying to do today.

6 comments:

Emily said...

Oh Annette- I was so relieved to see your post! This is my life every day, so I can totally identify:)

Hamblin Family said...

Wow! Did you laugh at the beginning or did you yell and then laugh? I would yell and then laugh. I mean they do have to learn not to do that right? Yeah, I would yell and then laugh.

Annette Tanner said...

Oh, I yelled and then laughed. Well, tried to laugh. Sort of smiled to myself. Now, hours later, I laugh.

Shanana said...

I was just glad it was cat food and not the gasoline container pictured in the background!

Sorry your "relaxing" day was anything but.

Grandmotherfairy said...

You are such a good mom...sometimes laughing is all that gets you through to the next day!!!

Christine said...

That is hilarious!! Although, I would have been ticked off at first too. At least we can laugh later, huh? :)