THE TANNER FAMILY

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Mardi Gras 2014

Every year for Mardi Gras, we eat cajun food of some sort and watch "The Princess and the Frog".  For the last 3 years I have been trying new recipes for our dinner... we have had some interesting things... but mostly yummy!  I usually make beignets for dessert too!  This year I decided to make new recipes for dinner and dessert!
We had to have our Mardi Gras celebration on Monday, since we had some other things on the calendar for Tuesday night.  I made "Crawfish and Corn Bisque" and Cornbread for supper and "King Cake" for dessert.  King Cake is usually baked with a small figurine of a baby inside and whoever gets that piece is "king for the day".  I didn't bake a baby in it...  I stuck a plastic coin inside after it was baked, before I frosted it.  I didn't know where it was when it was all done.  Chloe ended up "queen for the day" when she got the coin piece!
It all turned out great!  Especially the King Cake (in my opinion)!  It is kind of a sweet roll dough with a cream cheese and cherry pie filling middle, and green, yellow, and purple sugar on top.  Yum!




Brooke is my picky eater.  For lunch on Monday, I made the girls turkey and cheddar sandwiches with mayo.  (It was an ice day so they were all home!)  She didn't want mayo in hers and threw a fit for about a half an hour when she had to eat it...  All over mayonaise.  I was a little worried about her eating the Crawfish and Corn Bisque for dinner.  She didn't take any bites for a long time, so I fed her a bite for her to try it.  After I fed her the bite, she ate her bowl of soup without complaint.  When I asked her why she threw a fit about mayo, and ate the soup so well, she said, "I really like the crawfish!"  Mardi Gras Miracle!  :)

2 comments:

Janice said...

Ahhhh the picky eater, you will have to teach me some tricks on how to get them to eat!

Grandmotherfairy said...

what a wonderful mom you are...everything looks so delicious!