Which meant we had to come up with activities to do at home.
To make matters worse, our heater broke. We were in the middle of playing games with our girls (Operation and Don't Break the Ice...) when we smelled a burning smell. We looked around for fire... but found nothing. I checked the thermostat, and it was set at 72 but it was only 68 in the house. I messed with it a bit. The heater would not turn on. I called our Property Management office, got a hold of the man on call, and he said that no maintenance workers were running trucks because of the weather/driving conditions. Great. No heat, freezing temperatures outside... what could go wrong?
Well, we got two little space heaters going, and bundled up. The temperature kept falling in our house, so we went out on the icy roads to find dinner at a warm restaurant. At bedtime, we put the girls into one bedroom in their sleeping bags with lots of blankets and a space heater. We took the other space heater to our room and snuggled down.
Sometime in the night the power went out. When we woke up it was 54 in our house, the power was out so we couldn't run the space heaters or the oven to warm it up, and there was no school again, because everything was still covered in ice.
Dave walked over to the wooded area across from our house and found enough fallen branches to bring home and burn in our fireplace. (Yes, the University was closed too, so Dave had been staying home with us too!) We got a fire going, and with the power coming on for good around noon, were able to warm up a bit. The technician came around 2:00 and fixed our heater and we were finally able to get the heater running. This was day two of no school, and the girls were getting restless. We got some sugar cookie stuff from Grandma in the mail, and made those.
By this time, we were all a bit crazy. There were six of us at home, stuck, for three days straight with not a lot to keep us busy. Mom had to bring out the big guns. Craft time.
We busted out some wood and paint and crafted for a while. Then we braved the icy roads to make a run to Costco. It was nice to get out and walk around. After dinner, we took a walk in the freezing neighborhood, then came home and turned on an exercise video.
Snow came in the night, and covered the already icy roads up with 6 inches of powder. The conditions were crazy! This meant day 4 of no school!
We are still covered in snow and ice, but it is supposed to warm up to the 40's for the next two days, so hopefully we will thaw a bit before the next system comes through! That is one thing I have noticed about living in Texas... everything changes so quickly. Last weekend we were warm in the sunshine, and this week we have been freezing our hineys off! It has been hailed the "Biggest storm in a long time." But, everything is bigger in Texas, right?!
6 comments:
Oh My....we never had weather like that when we lived in Texas...tornados and hurricanes, but never freezing rain and snow...I hope that you all be back to normal and school on Monday...I am glad that the "cookie" package came at a good time!!!
Goodness, power outages too? I'm glad you survived. That's a loooot of snow days.
Wow! I had no idea you could get weather like that. Good luck this next week.
The weather was trying to make you feel at home...except we don't even have 6 inches of snow here! I am glad you lived through it all! Tell Autumn that I love her workout outfit! I want one!!
I hope your "hineys" have thawed!!! You are such a good mom, Annette! Keeping all those girlies happy and busy!! We can't wait to see you guys soon!
It's a good thing that you took advantage of the good weather at the end of January. We heard about schools being cancelled in many areas around Dallas on the news here.
Post a Comment