THE TANNER FAMILY

Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Chocolate Mousse Cheesecake

For Valentine's Day, I like to make a delicious dessert... usually something with chocolate. Last year I made chocolate mousse in chocolate dessert cups. It was amazing! It was fabulous! It was SO rich! This year, I decided to try the chocolate mousse as a layer on top of cheesecake with Oreo cookie crust and topping. It turned out SO GOOD! It was delicious, and pretty easy to make.

For the crust:
Oreos
1/4 C. butter or margarine

I took about 1/2 of a package of Oreos and took the cookies apart. (I used only the 1/2 without the creme and put the 1/2's with the creme together for eating "double stuffed" later!) Crush the cookies until you get a fine crumb consistency. Mix with 1/4 C. melted butter or margarine and pat into the bottom of a 8x8 or 9x9 baking pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 5-10 minutes.

For the cheesecake layer:
2 eggs
1/2 C. sugar
1 package Cream Cheese

While crust is cooking, beat 2 eggs, then mix in 1/2 C. sugar. Beat in 1 package softened cream cheese and mix until smooth. Spread over crust and bake for 20-22 minutes at 375 degrees. Remove from oven and cool completely.
(I made the mousse while the cheesecake was cooking, because they both have to cool in the refrigerator for a while.)

For the Chocolate Mousse layer: (This Mousse is so good alone too!!)
4 egg yolks
1/4 C. sugar
1 C. heavy cream
1 C. chocolate chips
1 1/2 C. whipped cream

Beat 4 egg yolks until thick and lemon colored. Beat in 1/4 C. sugar.
Heat 1 C. heavy cream in saucepan over medium heat until hot. Stir 1/2 of the cream into the egg mixture, then pour it all back into the pot with the other 1/2 of the cream. Cook over low heat about 5 minutes, stirring constantly, until thick. Stir in 1 C. chocolate chips. Remove from heat, and stir until chips are completely melted and combined. Refrigerate for 2 hours, stirring occasionally. Fold chocolate mixture into 1 1/2 C. whipped cream (real whipped cream or Cool Whip both work) and layer on top of the cooled cheesecake. Sprinkle top with crushed Oreos and serve immediately or chill.

Enjoy!

4 comments:

Grandmotherfairy said...

Oh my word...that sounds delicious!!!! Thank you for the recipe!

Hamblin Family said...

I'll have to try it! I also need to get the recipe for what you did last year cause that was seriously delightful!! We can't wait for you guys to come!!! Less than a month!!!

Annette Tanner said...

Amy, last year was the same chocolate mousse, I just made chocolate cups by melting chocolate chips and pouring it over my upside-down silicone muffin things then letting them harden in the fridge. (And making chocolate drizzle heart shapes with the melted chocolate and putting those in the tops to make them cute!)

Zanny said...

THANK YOU!!!!!!!