THE TANNER FAMILY

Friday, July 24, 2009

Pioneer Day Meatballs (aka Annette's Amazing Meatballs)

Today is Pioneer Day in Utah. We celebrate the end of a long trek for the pioneers, where they finally found a place to live where they could be free to worship how they chose. July 24 was the day the pioneers made it to the Salt Lake Valley. Also today, I was a pioneer in my own way. I made meatballs from scratch for the first time. Yeah me! I didn't have a recipe that I was following, I just made it up as I went along... My family loved them. I served them with spaghetti. Chloe said, "These meatballs are AMAZING!" I thought I would share my recipe, so you all could make them too!

Please note: I didn't measure anything so amounts are approximates. Use things to taste.
1 lb. ground beef (turkey would work too, I'm sure)
1/2 c. fine bread crumbs
salt
pepper
garlic powder
onion powder
Italian seasoning
finely chopped bell pepper (maybe 1-2 Tbsp.)
1 egg, beaten

Mix bread crumbs and seasonings. Add meat and peppers. Mix together. Add egg and combine thoroughly. Roll into 1 inch balls and place in skillet that has oil covering the bottom, preheated to medium. Cover and cook until bottoms have dark brown crusts, and tops have turned light brown. Uncover and turn all meatballs over. Cook uncovered until bottoms have dark brown crusts. Drain off oil and serve with pasta sauce over cooked pasta.

Like I said, my family LOVED them. They were easy, and I started cooking them before the pasta, and by the time the pasta was done, they were done too! Enjoy!

1 comment:

Grandmotherfairy said...

Sounds delicious...you truly are a pioneer! I'm going to give them a try.