THE TANNER FAMILY

Monday, March 16, 2009

Extreme Home Makeover... or Tanner Home Improvement

We, the Tanners, underwent some home renovations this past week (hence no blog posts). With some of our tax return this year, we decided to do some much needed improvements to our entry way and our upstairs bathroom. Since moving in to this house almost 1 year ago, we have needed to fix a few issues... and Dave's forced furlough week was the perfect opportunity! Project #1 was our entry way floor. The linoleum was peeling up in some areas, and just didn't look very good. So, we decided to put in a tile floor. It was our first time putting in tile, and it got pretty messy, but we are really happy with the finished product!

Another home renovation that we did, but we hadn't planned on doing, was making our bar narrower, so we can fit around our dining table more easily. We had been talking about how to solve our space issue, and whether or not we should get a new table. Then, we had our friends, the Hamblins, over for dinner. Their son, Tyler, was running full tilt to get outside with the rest of the kids, and he slammed right into the corner of our bar and cut his forehead open. This prompted immediate action. We decided to cut off about 8 inches of the bar. It is amazing how much more room we have now! Project #2 complete!
Project #3 was our biggest one! Our upstairs bathroom was in need of a new bathtub, and so we decided to take out the linoleum (which was peeling in spots) and shower walls, and replace them with tile. As we got into the project, we realized that it was a bigger project than we anticipated.
Dave did all of the tearing out, and that went pretty quickly until it came time to pull out the old bathtub.
The bathtub was fitted into the bathroom behind the sheetrock and subfloor boards. So, we had to cut out the walls to get it out. It was really amazing!
Dave had been working so hard on the repairs, that he took a little rest in the new bathtub before we installed it! Not really, but it was a fun picture!
We got the tile put in in one day... Dave did the bottom half of the walls, then I helped do most of the top half. After a short break we got to work on the floor. Dvae cut tile and I laid it down. It was hard work, but really fun too.
This is our finished bathroom. (Minus the new curtains, rugs & towels... but you get the picture!) It was a really tiring week, and we made a LOT of trips to Lowe's... but we are really happy with the changes that we made.
I think the best part of it all is that we did it together. We had ideas of what we wanted, and we went for it. I think it turned out to be a really great, fun week!

7 comments:

Grandmotherfairy said...

It looks beautiful you guys. I can't believe the difference all your changes made...and you did them yourselves! Well Done!!! Yes Davy that is worth three !.

Sherry said...

WOW!! It looks amazing! How great that you were able to do it yourselves. I hope you wore knee pads. Dave certainly has the Tanner do it yourself ability. Great job. Now you can relax and enjoy!

HeatherWasHere said...

Annette! They all turned out so well! I can't believe you guys did all that tiling yourselves. That's got to feel pretty empowering. So are you wondering what other surfaces you can tile next or are you going to be content for awhile?

Heather said...

WOW! I am so impressed. I love the tiles you chose for the shower and the floor. The little detail in the shower walls adds so much. It's really beautiful . . . and it's done, which is probably the best part!

Christine said...

Wow! I love what you did! A lot of work I'm sure but it looks great! I love the picture of Dave in the tub.....just trying it out for size, I'm sure. :)

Hamblin Family said...

It all turned out sooo nice. Tyler really appriciates project #2 and no worries he is almost fully healed and give me a year or two and I might forget about it;-)

Cox Family said...

Wow, Annette! It looks great! It has inspired me to get some work done around our house.